BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, July 11, 2009

My first taste of music as a 7 year old was THAT renowned Grammy Awards cassette – that had “Beat It”, “Billie Jean”, “Uptown Girl”, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”, “Let’s Dance”, “Every Breath You Take”, “Karma Chameleon”, “Flashdance – What a Feeling” on the album.

That’s where my love for MJ commenced - “Beat It” & “Billie Jean”.

I recalled how my late dad had the “Thriller” cassette, and how I perpetually listened to the whole album and for some reason, my favorite song off the album back then was “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’”.

I remembered attending some event for children in 1987 (can’t recall what event), but I definitely recall dancing to a Michael Jackson song all on my own in front of everyone. It was a spontaneous moment. I clearly can recollect a lady (I was 10), asking me to marry her jokingly – and then keep saying she wished I was older? LOL!

I remembered how I hotfooted to a friend’s house (he had the largest TV set in the neighbourhood) to join a big group of children and adults and catch the debut of MJ’s music video – “Bad”.

I think there were 2 memories in 1988, once during my primary school prefects’ gathering, I sang “Man in the Mirror” solo, and another, dancing in a group of 4 in front of strangers at Central Market KL to “The Way You Make Me Feel”.

I remembered how in 1991, when I first heard “Black or White” on the radio, and pestered my mom to get me the “Dangerous” cassette as an early Christmas gift – I even accompanied her to Lot 10 Salem Power station to buy it!

Fast forward to 1997, I went to Langkawi with my then girlfriend, and another couple. We were having boozing and chilling, typical Langkawi fun, and at night we drove to Sheraton Langkawi to a pub there. When “Blood on the Dancefloor” unexpectedly came on, I took the stage again and danced like there’s no tomorrow, when the tune ended, everyone in the pub clapped. Either they were enjoyed it or happy that it was over. LOL.

Every single memory there continued my love for music, with Michael Jackson being the catalyst.

RIP MJ. The LAST LEGEND on Earth. No other musician will ever come close to you, even the ones in the past. You did what Elvis and the Beatles didn’t really achieve, uniting the world, different races, religion and ages. We were blessed by your presence.

(source:-danielfranklingomez.com)

0 comments: